Monday, January 9, 2012

Cleanse Week 2, 1 Week As A Grain Free Vegan, DONE!

Just like that, one week of the cleanse down. I'm joking of course, in the moment the week felt more like a month. But as I sit here typing away one week into this, I truly feel like I am over the hump. I no longer need a few dates late in the afternoon to carb my sugar craving. I'm not smelling my girls' grilled cheese sandwiches or graham crackers just to feel satiated. I don't even think about a morning coffee. On Sunday, I took my girls to one of my favorite cupcake shoppes in Denver and didn't have a bite.

Yes, I'm THAT over the hump.

I feel incredibly calm. I don't feel bloated (even with a looming visit from the monthly bloat master in my life), I'm eager to clean my house, I've committed to walking or hiking every single day, I am more tuned in to my girls. Today was the  first day I didn't get out to walk because I got caught up in other things (costco run w/a friend, new garbage disposal installation), I was trying to figure out how to sneak some cardio in at home at 10pm. I went to bed instead, taking pride in the last 9 days I did walk for a minimum of 30 minutes. One day off is fine.

I'm excited the next week is going to bring about some change in my diet. We get to add in legumes and lean protein. I did break down and have an egg last Wednesday, it was a combination of things with the main feeling of intuition telling me, I NEED PROTEIN! One egg and that need was met. I'm not craving meat per say, but I am enjoying having lentils with dinner or black beans in my salad. I added chickpeas to a roasted vegetable dish of brussel sprouts, garlic, cauliflower, and beets. That mix was fabulous over some greens tossed in a simple olive oil and vinegar.

Surprises?

I am not craving dairy one bit. I'm not eating bread, so I don't want butter. I'm not having coffee, so I don't need milk. Occasionally I think about having cheese in my salad, but I am always content when I finish my meal. Wow?!? Speaking of bread, I would consider my self a bread fanatic, haven't given much thought about indulging in a piece. I have no carb cravings. This cleanse has brought fresh fruits and vegetables into a new light for me. A morning smoothie is filling, especially with an avocado or cashews in it. It feels good to be one week down and feel comfortable. I know I lost weight, I can tell. I did weigh myself with the Wii Fit last Wednesday and will only weigh myself on day 21. This isn't about losing weight for me, but it is something I've really been wanting. I'm already contemplating Day 22, how are these three weeks going to affect me?

Sharing some meals from the week, which is a great time to share, my husband is an outstanding cleanse partner. He cooked many of these meals (but not all of them). In this together, is a great place to be. I'm grateful for his support.

Fresh roasted potatoes, lentils (first legumes I had), fresh green beans, spinach, carrots, red peppers, garlic, portobello mushrooms, red onion. Kitchen sink meal du jour! 

Fresh pineapple, kiwi, blueberries over cashew and walnut "crust" (mixed in Cuisinart). 

Roasted brussel sprouts, garlic, beets, cauliflower just tossed in olive oil. Oven 400 degrees, 20 mins. Threw the chick peas in at the end to heat them up, served over greens. 

Roasted acorn squash, cabbage, greens, broccoli steamed for 4 minutes, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds. 

Green smoothie, collards, kale, mustard greens, pineapple, peach, mango, banana. 
Pineapple, blackberries, with unsweetened coconut, sunflower seeds. 

I feel nourished, how could I not?!? On with week 2...


5 comments:

  1. Wow, great menu ideas and big congrats on getting through the first week! I'm just learning about the cleanse thing, and just made my first green drink ever today. The more I read about it, the more interesting it seems. The lentil dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I am so glad to hear that you are feeling well and having results. That blueberry/kiwi dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny how we're experiencing this plan in such a similar way. I thought I'd be waylaid by the lack of dairy, bread and coffee - but I haven't been. Though, I too think how nice a little goat cheese sprinkled on my salad would be - I'm fully satisfied at the end of every meal. This cleanse is not about losing weight for me either (though I expect it will be a welcome by product) - a clean slate for the New Year was what I was looking for - especially after fairly indulgent holidays. I've found even more in the bargain - great new recipes for meals and snack ideas that I can incorporate from now on. I love the soups, salads and crispy cauliflower (which I always have loved, just never considered it as a snack before this).
    Fun to meet someone else so like-minded on this journey - a little support goes a long way. :)
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really crave dairy or bread once it was out of my system either. I remember wanting quinoa very badly when I was grain-free for 17 days. I'm going back on that in a week so wish me luck and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you and amazed at how far you've come from those first few days of detoxing!

    I've still been struggling to get back to my paleo/gluten free diet but I do know that I feel so much better when I am on my program.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!