Monday, January 2, 2012

Glimpse Into Whole Foods Cleanse Day 1 of 21

The quick backstory is that a friendly conversation about a 21 Day Cleansing article in Whole Living Magazine turned into a pinky swear which sealed the deal, four of us committed to how we would eat for the next 21 days. This is a whole foods cleanse, not to be confused with one that is all juice and supplements. We will be eating foods, they just have to be fresh! The six things we are giving up are all processed foods/drinks, alcohol, sugar, gluten, dairy, and caffeine. 

I will not be updating my meals daily, I will be doing a weekly recap. Of course with this being the first day, I am feeling energized to share how the day went. WEEK 1 emphasizes all fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and gluten free grains are added back in weeks 2 and 3. It's funny how this first day I was really nervous and focused many times through out the day on what I couldn't have. I felt lots of hunger pangs and the article discusses how this is normal and not a bad thing. I feel like there are days when I just mindlessly eat because I'm walking by the pantry or in the kitchen. There was no slice of cheese when I made my girls grilled cheese sandwich, nor was there even one nibble on their crusts. Hello, small triumphs! 


Two smoothies today for breakfast. The one on the left helps detox our organs, which is really why we are doing this. The green smoothie was simply collard greens, a granny smith apple, a banana, flat leaf parsley, and some water. The red smoothie was blackberries, 100% cranberry juice, and fresh grapefruit segments. The recipe called for an orange, but we didn't have one so we substituted grapefruit.

Mid morning snack: Good ol' banana. No photos, I apologize.

Last night Josh roasted a butternut squash with some garlic, carrots, onions just simply tossed lightly in olive oil. Today he turned those roasted vegetables into soup. The only thing that set it apart from how he normally makes it is that he didn't add any butter to richen the soup. Topped with some pumpkin seeds.

Did I miss the butter? No. Confession,  I was very hungry for lunch, so more grateful to eat than wishing for butter...

He also made a coleslaw inspired salad, red cabbage, carrots, red onion, red bell pepper, flat leaf parsley,  tossed in some olive oil, rice wine vinegar, and mustard. Topped with fresh avocado.

Mid Afternoon Snack: 4 turkish dried apricots with some fresh ground 100%  peanut butter. They were fabulous and totally hit the spot.

Sauteed greens (red chard) with red onion and red pepper. Fresh potato cut up into wedges and tossed lightly in olive oil, roasted in the oven. Salad of greens, tomato, cukes, avocado, red pepper. Dressing, we went with jarred, the flavor hit the spot, Annie's Goddess Dressing. It doesn't have any additives or preservatives.I really savored the potatoes. They were a hearty addition to the meal.

After Dinner Snack: a handful of cashews, about 14.

BONUS, Dessert! Raw Apple Pie! 

Cashews and walnuts pulverized with some water in our Cuisinart and topped with thinly sliced apples and cinnamon. No added sugar. It was delicious and I missed nothing from my usual quick fix of some type of prepackaged sweet (if we don't have baked goods in the house).

I drank 4 pint glasses of water today with a tablespoon of Organic Volcanic Lemon Juice in it. I like the taste and apparently your body enjoys the lemon as well. Win, win!

I did not drink any tea today, I decided to simply step away for the entire day. I'm sure I'll be adding green tea back in a couple of days.

Highlights? I have a husband that loves to be in the kitchen and is totally on board with this cleanse. He's done all the grocery shopping and prepared the food for today. I found after one day, I'm looking at food differently. Each meal which is nourishing my body is truly being savored. I'm not just eating to pass time. Lightbulb moment, priceless...

Last but not least. PHOTO DISCLAIMER, these were all shot with my iPhone. This is about the cleansing experience not setting up the perfect backdrop to make pretty pictures. 


  1. Awesome. Awesome. You both inspire me

  2. Wow, I'm so impressed. Go you!

  3. That all looks really good! Great job on day one!

    How long will Josh be home to cook for you? All 21 days?

  4. Good for you guys! I look forward to hearing how it's going.

  5. Changing up your diet so dramatically is really eye opening, isn't it? I think eating this way is so great though it does require planning and prep. All the food that's easy and accessible when you're out in the world is so often the crap stuff, right? When I am eating like this, I find that I have to be really structured because my hunger can come on strong and I need food immediately. I also notice my hunger/fullness much differently.

    Good for you!

  6. I love the raw apple pie idea! Good for you two! And I'm totally with the crazy eating as a couple or don't do it all.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!