Friday, February 17, 2012

Easy Gluten Free Pizza Crust, High Protein and Paleo Friendly!

After finishing the cleanse, my husband decided he was going to continue staying wheat free. While I have returned to some foods with wheat, for the most part I've replaced everyday go to items with wheat free alternatives. For example I have a corn tortilla in the morning instead of toast with an egg. I just prefer how I feel eating limited amounts of wheat/gluten and I notice I am not as bloated come the day's end.

As many of you already know, in our house we have a Pizza Friday tradition. It's been in my family for close to 50 years. I make the dough every week for our pizza, but J has been longing for a wheat free alternative. Today I picked up two cornmeal pizza crusts at Whole Foods only to arrive home and learn the first ingredient was wheat flour. I was frustrated.

While searching for gluten free pizza crust recipes, I was really turned off by the ingredients and complex list of items you need to make it. Immediately I searched Elana's Pantry to see if she had a pizza crust recipe and to my excitement she did! The recipe featured below in the video, is from Elana's The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. To me, Elana is an amazing resource for gluten free living, especially if you want to skip the endless carbs and pack your meals with protein. Almond flour is the key to achieving that! The best part to me, I didn't feel like I was missing a thing. I absolutely loved this crust.

I was so excited with how easy this crust was to make and how well it held up to our piles of toppings. We topped this pizza with broccoli, garlic, onions, zucchini, sauce, and walnuts. J isn't eating dairy right now either, so I simply added some Pecorino Romano to mine after it came out of the oven. Below you will find the adjustments I made to the crust.

The almond flour was found at Whole Foods in bulk. I believe you can search out tutorials online on how to make it as home if you can't find it in a store near you.



Variations from video:
I used a spring form pan brushed with olive oil and then coconut oil in place of where she uses the butter, I substituted olive oil in the dough for grapeseed oil, I also added herbs, basil, parsley, and oregano.

Enjoy! Please share some of your favorite pizza toppings, we are always trying to find ways to switch things up.

5 comments:

  1. I just heard we are getting a Whole Foods not far from here, but I did see a tutorial on how to make your own almond flour, so I will be trying that with some almonds that I have on hand. Pizza is one thing that I miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I will totally have to try this. I've tried SO many GF crust recipes and they all suck. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have almond flour!! Can't wait to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your video and used it as inspiration! Thanks for making it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this recipe, and used it as inspiration for a pizza! Thanks for the awesome video!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!