Monday, May 14, 2012

Giddy About Motherhood

From the whispers that started between my girls on Saturday afternoon, straight through bedtime on Sunday, the anticipation and excitement my girls felt just naturally energized Mother's Day. As for Sunday itself, there were countless moments through out the day when I just sat back and felt giddy. 

Giddy about motherhood. 

My path to motherhood came unexpectedly on one hand, but with perfect timing on the other. I was ready to be a mom. My decision came with sacrifices such as my teaching career (which I consider to be on hold) and many things that were a habitual part of my life were pushed aside. As you would imagine, many of life's luxuries began to fade into the background when going from two incomes to one, one child to two. I sort of chuckle sitting back thinking about creating a list of "sacrifices", what I traded in for motherhood, but in reality those things are all a drop in the bucket in comparison to the fulfillment that my daughters have brought into my life. 

Giddy about motherhood. 

I have found the deepest sense of joy in the simplest moments since becoming a mother. Watching my husband with our girls, a man I once met as a boy, who has grown into his role as a father as if it was second nature. Just the other night I could hear GL reading her book out loud to J before bedtime instead of vice versa. She's five years old and the words roll off her tongue with ease, I smile when her voice still carries hints of a squeaky toddler tone. As for my Sj, her wisdom comes naturally. She puts words together on a piece of paper in ways I could have never imagined. Sometimes I just sit in the living room, discreetly observing the hum of my life, my family life, a beautiful life. 

Giddy about motherhood. 

On Mother's Day I allowed myself the opportunity to bask in the depths of happiness that my life may have never known, if I had taken a different road. I feel the gratitude that feeds my spirit, all a gift from motherhood. 

Giddy about motherhood. 

------------------
Related: sometimes 140 characters can speak in a way that an endless amount of characters could not. 



9 comments:

  1. There is nothing like it!

    You are a great Mom. They are so lucky to have you.

    Connie,
    Eat Play Love Fan Club President

    P.S. This is how I sign all of my correspondence now.

    LOVE YOU MAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! mothering is such an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have found the deepest sense of joy in the simplest moments since becoming a mother."

    It's the simple moments that save me! They're also the glue that holds our family together.

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. It's also a sentiment that I find myself curling up with...the happiness of making the choice to become a mother.

    Love & cherish the giddiness. As I do you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen you with your kids but from what I know of you, I just know you are an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved hearing about your girls getting excited for your Mother's Day! Glad you felt giddy. All moms need to feel that sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Denise. I have never once missed my life before children. Small parts - obviously. I mean memories of those trips to Spain can make me want to weep with longing sometimes... But as a whole, I've received far more than I've sacrificed. And Anna is right - it's an "honor."

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!