Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Slice of Americana, YMCA of The Rockies in Estes Park, Colorado

As I see it, Americana represents the fabric of our cultural heritage. Camping in the summer is one of those cherished slices of Americana, just as sweet as a homemade apple pie. I have very distinct memories of a camping trip I went on one summer as a child with my neighbors. There was bingo, camp fires, getting all sorts of dirty, exploring trails, and a tire swing over a lake.

In June I was invited to explore the YMCA of The Rockies in Estes Park for a few days with a fabulous group of local bloggers, which I luckily also consider to be some dear friends. There was no way we would pass up such an opportunity! Typically we camp a couple of times over the summer, but it's usually in camping areas with no amenities, just back country style. My husband has a degree in Wilderness Recreation Leadership so he really enjoys all the work that goes into planning and experiencing a more back country camping experience. 

We agreed it would be a fun and new experience to visit a place like the "Y", as we like to call it, with the girls. We pulled into the Y after a 45 minute easy commute from Boulder, it instantly felt like a great place to relax and getaway, I adored the buildings sharing a log cabin aesthetic. Our reservation was for a room in a lodge, but they also offer cabins for lodging which looked right up our alley. We were given the full experience, meals provided for us in a cafeteria style setting, group activities, a barbeque, campfire songs with the fabulous Cowboy Ron, drop off activities for the girls to participate in like how to be an animal detective or kick ball, live bluegrass, ziplining which was my favorite, the most amazing crafting center we have ever been to, archery, swimming, horseback riding, and there was even a playground for those in between times when the kids were still on the go. Here's a full program bulletin to get a better sense of all the opportunities the Y offers! 

Wow, right? 

All of my expectations were exceeded at the Y. We experienced full days packed with joy, not only through our girls, but with them! Sounds amazing, doesn't it? It was. The YMCA of The Rockies provided us with many special memories all set in one of the most picturesque and relaxing places, right in our backyard. I can't wait until we return, I think we need to check out the cabins on our next visit! 

The best day of my 8 year old's life! 
More posts about the Y experience can be found over at Write Mind Open Heart!
Disclosure: My family was provided this wonderful opportunity (lodging and meals) in partnership with Mile High Mamas. Some of the activities, such as the horseback riding through Rocky Mountain National Park were not included, but way too exciting of an opportunity to pass up. 


  1. It was so fun to hang out with you and your family at the YMCA. I love how you put it -- cherished slices of Americana.

  2. Such a great time. I have been talking it up to everyone who asks what we did this summer!


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!