Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 Whole Foods Cleanse Year 2

In January 2012, I did a 21 day whole food cleanse (related posts) which was created by Whole Living Magazine. Basically the first week was fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. The second week, we added in some gluten free grains, and the third week we added lean protein (eggs, fish, chicken breast).

The Whole Living, Whole Foods Cleanse was focused on eliminating the following:

  • Sugar
  • Processed foods
  • Dairy
  • Gluten Free Grains
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine 

This year, I have also decided to go on a whole foods cleanse, but really it's more of an elimination diet. I've made some personal modifications to the cleanse from last year and today I am Day 6 into it, feeling happy to be over the initial hump.

If you have never cleansed before, I will warn you that around Day 3 your liver is detoxing and although you may present with a headache, irritability may be a top symptom! Personally,  I become highly sensitive to noise and basically want to spend the day in bed with a pillow over my head. One of the reasons why I modified the cleanse this year, was to help ease me through some of the harshness of the first week, so I can maintain my lifestyle. Honestly, while spending the day in bed sounds lovely, it's not very realistic. When you are truly cleansing, obviously initially your energy levels will be decreased, and one of my priorities is to be active during these 3 weeks.

Denise's 2013 Whole Foods Cleanse, eliminating:

  • Sugar
  • Processed foods
  • Dairy
  • ALL grains
  • alcohol

I decided to keep lean protein in my diet, I have chosen to consume eggs, chicken breast, and fish. I have also given up all grains, to me having rice crackers or gluten free bread defeats the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish, and just strengthens my desire to eat more carbs of the gluten filled variety. With out any grains, I've actually had an easier time. Related, I have eaten potatoes. When you hear grain free many think of Paleo, I am not eating Paleo (see, potato confession). The other change I've made is to drink green tea with caffeine. I enjoy green tea and have no desire whatsoever to put sugar or milk in my green tea.

I will be updating in the next few days some ways I've found to curb my sugar cravings and also meals we've been preparing. I have to confess, now that my husband is back from traveling this week, life is much easier, he's such a great cook and supportive of this cleanse!

Lunch today as pictured, simple soup:
diced tomatoes, garlic, italian herbs, potato, carrot, celery, mushroom, chard, onion, and avocado.

I recently heard someone describing a similar cleanse as a 1 ingredient diet. If it contains more than one ingredient, it probably does not fit the cleanse! As with the soup above, we made it, we knew exactly what was in it, a bunch of 1 ingredient items.

If you are cleansing please share any tips or foods you've been enjoying!

Related articles: Whole Living Mind + Body Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I just received my January 2013 Whole LIving and they've devised a new Action Plan for this year that looks really good. I think I will try a combination of this year's recipes with last and make some personal modifications too. (Like you, I think I will probably keep a bit of protein optional even during the first week.)

    Life has thrown some curve balls in the last week or so (family medical issues) that may make this more challenging (just making a different set of food for myself than my family when necessary) but I know I will feel so much better - it will be worth it.

    Glad to have a connection with someone else during the process.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!