Sunday, October 5, 2014

Paint Meets The Page: Stay The Course

Last night, I could've turned on the computer and watched something on Netflix or mindlessly surfed the web, but I didn't. I picked up my cup of murky grey paint water, walked over to the sink, dumped it out, and refilled the cup with clear water. I watched the muddled grey paint leave my brush as I rinsed it clean. I was discontent with not being able to accomplish what I had set out to do earlier, simply fill a page in my sketchbook, so I started fresh. I put classical music on and propped the dj style headphones on my ears. I opened to a blank page and wondered what would happen.

For me, the creative process is not being in love with what I produce. It's simply taking the time, staying the course, remaining on the page when more times than not, my brain is telling me to rip out the page. Be done, let it go. At one point late into the evening I looked down and saw about 3 remaining blank inches on the page. I could see the finish line, I was almost there, and I saw it through to completion. I set down my brush and smiled, turned my journal upside down, and just observed what was on the page before me. What I created is not framable, it's simple a page in a sketchbook journal. It will remind me of the night I didn't give in to disappointment. It will remind me that if I push on through, I can find harmony when I feel like it has otherwise escaped me.

Life lessons, they come sweeping in unexpectedly sometimes.

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!