Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Total Lunar Eclipse, My Kind of Magic

4:15 am came faster than my mind had anticipated. I rolled over to look out the window and see if I could catch a glimpse of the moon from the comfort of my own bed. Nope. I got out of bed, pressed my nose onto the cold glass and let my eyes search for a glowing white orb. Nope. Dammit, reality hit me, I was going to have to put on pants, more than likely a sweatshirt, and a hat before heading out in the dark to watch the lunar eclipse. As I was about to open the front door, instinctively I grabbed the wool blanket off the sofa. The concrete sidewalk was cold on my feet, that just moments ago were snuggled under a down blanket. I walked fifteen paces and turned around, there it was, the moon aglow entering into the first phases of the eclipse. The moon magically hung in the clear night sky, the bottom beginning to show hints of a beautiful burgundy meets pumpkin, red and orange melding on the surface, the earth starting to cast it's shadow, the sun coming up from behind our backs, a glowing white crescent was hanging on the top right side to the very end.

A shooting star flashed across the night sky.

my super cheesy iPhone photo! I HAD TO!
It got dramatic around 5:20 am, the moon just disappeared. Sun, earth, moon aligned in that very moment and we were witness. We found ourselves laughing a lot, on the front lawn, curled up in blankets, appreciating the quiet of our surrounding and captivated by what we were witnessing. It didn't feel ridiculous to be up at that time of the morning, it felt magical. I thought about how many hundreds of thousands of pairs of eyes were staring into the night sky, waiting and watching, just like us.

As soon as the moon dipped below the Rocky Mountains, I gathered up my warm blanket and went directly back to bed, not to return to a slumber, but to be still and ruminate on what I had just experienced. Sleep can come tonight. A blood moon, total lunar eclipse, the type of splendor memories are made of.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!