Wednesday, December 10, 2014

We Needed Milk

There was no sign of sunshine out my bedroom window. I tossed and turned, knowing I wouldn't fall back to sleep. I have an unspoken rule to not get out of bed while it's still dark out, unless I absolutely have to. Then my mind focused on the fact that we are going on three mornings with no milk in the house. Two days in a row I drank coffee sans milk. TWO DAYS.

So I dragged my ass out of bed and went to the store, at 6:30 am.

It wasn't light out yet and the first sign that I should not be functioning outside my house at that hour, was a car coming head on towards me head where normally two lanes travel east. What in the world was going on?!? Oh just some magically appeared overnight road construction, bright lights, and a glimpse of a ginormous hole dug out in the westbound lanes. I safely pulled into the parking lot.

I tried to focus on what I needed as the brisk air came rushing over me walking into the store. I grabbed a basket instead of a cart, which was mistake number one. A basket is always my attempt to keep it simple, only what I can carry. Remember I was just running in for milk, that damn milk they put in the very back corner of the store, curse grocery store designers.

Oh my goodness, there was inventory going on, all these random people with hand scanners. Then to top it off, they were rearranging the shelves. The cereal aisle was GONE, the shelves were empty. Why me. I powered through, waking more with each step, I felt like I was in a dream. Fruit, bread, puffs, two KIND bars, gallon of organic milk, yogurt. I put down the heavy milk to pick out the yogurt, then I grabbed some organic chicken tenders. I got to the register and truthfully looked around like where the hell is the milk I came in for? Oh yeah, the milk I set down to pick out my yogurt? I told the woman running the self checkout registers that I had to go back and get the milk I spaced. My check out did not go smoothly, a container of yogurt I picked up was cracked and leaking. The quart of yogurt I picked up instead of my gallon of milk needed to be put back on the shelf. I accidentally scanned an item getting out my reusable bag and I could not figure out what item it was.

I've come to two conclusions, self check out should not be open until people are properly caffeinated or I should just stay in bed until the sun rises.

Do over?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!