Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Welcome, XXIII

Twenty-three. 23. XXIII. Twenty-three is one of the most powerful prime numbers, only second to seventeen in my opinion. Although, thirteen is my favorite prime number and culturally speaking we could easily agree that thirteen carries the heaviest cloud of superstition over it.
Redwood Forest, 1993
And today, December 2nd, marks twenty-three years J and I have been together. More importantly, December 2nd was the day we picked to mark our anniversary of being together. We were hanging out a lot before the 2nd, but a year into it and I felt like we needed a commemorative date. While the cliche is, in a blink of an eye, I can't really quite fathom how twenty-three years have passed. How do you wrap your arms around that? Two decades and three years. I could think of a hundred ways to make the number and I'm not quite sure it would solidify the magnitude of this milestone.

This human being came into my life when I was a child. While the first sight of him left my heart racing and cheeks red, over the next few years our friendship blossomed. Once we became romantically intertwined, we never once hit the stop button. I never saw twenty-three years into our future, but here I am basking in it. I contemplate how the chemistry stays so incredibly vibrant and our communication styles fail time and time again, only to be reinvented. We continue on, navigating new territory, learning from yesterday and discovering just how wonderful twenty-three years later could be.

It's like everything and nothing has changed, simultaneously.

----

3 comments:

  1. Oh, congratulations! My other comment, if it ever shows up, was more philosophical than that. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and Mazal Tov!! You guys look ADORABLE!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Changing what is perfect. Perfecting what is changed. Indeed...enjoy 23 more.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!