Friday, August 7, 2015

Inspiration For Packing Healthy Lunches!

As Back To School is upon us, it's time to get inspired and reinvigorated for lunch packing season. I was featured on two Denver News Stations sharing how I pack lunches for my daughters.

Here are my top tips to start the school year off right!

Avoid the sandwich rut, deconstruct a sandwich, pack the components with crackers instead.

Choose small portions and a variety of foods to help picky eaters open up to new foods.

Aim to pack 3 fresh produce items, in any combination.

Invest in lunch boxes which make the morning rush a cinch! My favorite is the Bento Sets by Bentology (I'm an affiliate):

My former lunch packing blog, Colorado Bento contains over 100 lunch packing ideas which I've combined into Eat Play Love! Click here to scroll through to gather more ideas. 

Get your children involved in their lunch packing. Hand them a small cookie cutter and have them cut out the melon the night before, have it ready to grab and go when packing lunches the next morning! 

Breakfast isn't just for dinner, how about breakfast for lunch?

Don't be afraid to use leftovers, include lots of fresh items to accompany left over pizza!

Here are more photos to gather ideas!

 Quesadilla, veges, cantaloupe.

 Mac N Cheese, pear, vege booty, canned mandarin oranges!

 Plum, Carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, fresh figs, pretzel sticks, and pancakes!

Chicken meatballs (w/ketchup), champagne grapes, carrots, snap peas, 
pirate's booty, and a little piece of angel food cake. 

If you scroll down on the right side, you will find the bento packing and lunch ideas broken into categories, there are many posts to scroll through like Bento Tips, Breakfast for lunch, Laptop Lunches,  Hot Bento, Snack Bento, and a dozen others! 

Happy lunch packing! 


  1. Yum! One of my faves to send with my daughter is cold spinach tortellini w/no sauce. Great finger food.

  2. I've been eyeing the Bentology ("Laptop") boxes, and have been reading that they're not leak proof. Wondering about your experience with leaking. Also, do they use an insulated carrier with an ice pack, too? Here in FL, I need something that we can chill with an ice pack somehow and know that the cold foods will stay cold.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!