Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Confusing Negative Self Talk

Negative self talk, are you familiar? I have the ability to say things to myself that I wouldn't fathom ever saying aloud, which is definitely a special kind of negative self talk. One of the best ways for me to overcome negative self talk is to confuse it. A friend asked me to join a group on an urban night run and I said, YES. Now mind you, I didn't just say yes sign me up. I said you're organizing a night run and you thought of me, why? My reaction seemed quite normal because the negative self talk doesn't hesitate, it likes to be ready in a moment's notice. I would easily be the first to admit I'm not a runner in about 50 different ways sitting on the tip of my tongue, but I still said yes. The premise behind saying yes to this run was to shake up my patterns to self defeat, to self deflate.  If I raise the bar on the limitations I set on myself, how does that carry over into my everyday life?

The view from opening my door and stepping out of my comfort zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!