Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Art of Smoothie Making

Let me confess, I've made my fair share of smoothie flops. I once thought I could just wing it and throw what ever seemed like it would make a good smoothie into the blender and let it rip. Quite often my ratios of liquid to fruit were off and for every smoothie hit, there were a couple of flops I'd still have to choke down. Smoothie bowls have become a favorite afternoon snack to fuel up my girls before their dance and gymnastics classes. I tend to use juice or vanilla yogurt to sweeten smoothies and never rely on additional sweeteners such as honey or agave, I just prefer the sugars in the ingredients to create the right balance.

Now I rely on Whole Foods as a resource to help me make a well balanced smoothie, every time. With their smoothie nutrition calculator you can even get a sense of how your favorite homemade smoothie is doing in the nutrition department. Scroll to the bottom of the calculator page for smoothie recipe inspiration!


Two of my recent favorite recipes are the:

Sunrise Breakfast Smoothie (the girls love)

Ingredients: 
  • 1 small carrot, shredded 
  • 1 small banana, peeled 
  • 3/4 cup raspberries 
  • 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt 
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almondmilk 
  • 1/2 medium orange, peeled and seeded 
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
Method: 
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into two tall glasses and enjoy. 
Nutritional Info: 
Per Serving: Serving size: about 1 cup170 calories (15 from fat), 2g total fat, 85mg sodium, 37g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 6gprotein.

Get Your Greens Smoothie  (so easy to whip up!)

Ingredients: 
  • 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almondmilk, soymilk, ricemilk or hempmilk 
  • 1 1/2 cup packed baby spinach 
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen cherries or berries
Method: 
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve. 
Nutritional Info: 
Per Serving: 110 calories (20 from fat), 2.5g total fat, 160mg sodium, 20g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 3g protein.

-----
Disclosure, I was compensated by Whole Foods Market as a WFM Ambassador for this post. Content is purely at my discretion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!