Tuesday Tips: Water Conservation Starts In The Loo
When we moved into our house, one of the first things to go was the toilet. I just like to start fresh. The main bathroom toilet had a wooden toilet seat that had seized up bolts, so I couldn't even switch up the seat. I thought if we are updating one, we mine as well do both. When the toilets were removed I noticed they were stamped 1962, which also means they were the ORIGINAL toilets put in this house. My oh my.
We purchased two toilets at a big box hardware store for $115 each, they were Kohler Wellworth HET (High Efficiency Toilets). HETs are certified as WaterSense by the EPA, which means they will save an average of 11 gallons of water a day. A WaterSense toilet uses 20% less water than the Federal Standard (ours uses 1.28 gals per flush). The estimate is about $90 a year in savings just from your water bill with an HET. Plus it has a powerful flush! In the City of Boulder, there is currently a program that is offsetting the cost of replacing old toilets with HETs and the rebate is $75 for the first toilet and $25 for additional toilets. If you do the math, with the rebate and the water savings our toilets will pay for themselves the first year. To top it off we are conserving water.
Water In Our Home Facts:
- Nearly 40% of water consumption is from toilet use.
- If we collectively flushed one less time per day we could save a lake full of water one mile long and wide, by four feet deep!
- Less than 1% of the treated water is used for consumption, the rest is used for lawns, washing machines, toilets, showers, etc!
Water Conservation Tips:
- Find out if your tank is leaking, put 10 drops of food coloring in your toilet tank, do not flush it. Wait 15-20 minutes, if the color appears in your bowl, you have a leaky tank.
- Another way to save 1/2 gallon of water per flush is to do this easy water saving trick. Fill a 1/2 gallon milk jug with sand/rocks/water combination. Slowly lower it into your toilet tank. With the jug in the tank, 1/2 gallon of water is saved with each flush!