So, what in the world are GMO's?
GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism. A GMO is created in a laboratory by altering the genetic makeup of a plant by splicing the DNA with foreign proteins and bacterias, viruses or other plants and animals. A Genetically Modified Organism can not occur naturally, it is created in a laboratory through genetic engineering by the manipulation of that plant/organism's DNA. Most importantly, a GMO is patent protected by the corporation that created it in their laboratory, which ultimately hinders third party and government research into their safety.
Why label GMO's?
Unfortunately we can not see what ingredients were genetically modified with our eyes. It takes lots of personal energy to decipher which products "may contain GMO's" versus which products are clean and free of laboratory created organisms. Here's a list of the most common GM crops:
- Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
- Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
- Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
- Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
How To Support Non-GMO Month:
1. Buy organic, USDA regulations prohibit the use of GMO's in any product certified Organic.
2. Look for the NON GMO Project label, this product has gone through a 3rd party certification process to ensure it is indeed free of GMO's.
3. If shopping at Whole Foods, check out their 365 Everyday Value® products. Ingredients are sourced to avoid GMO's and hundreds of them have been NON GMO Project certified and the rest are in process. Here's a list of NON GMO Project verified products you can find at Whole Foods Market.
Related information, Food Allergy Facts:
Up to 15 Million Americans have food allergies.
According to a study released by the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies increased approximately 50% between 1997 and 2011.
Why have food allergies sky rocketed since GMO's were added to our food supply? Are we allergic to these foods or what has been done to them in a laboratory which is causing reactions in our bodies?
Food Allergy Research and Education,
EPA regulates Bt Corn as Pesticide
I have a $25 Whole Foods Market Gift Card to giveaway!To Enter:
2. Contest will close on Friday October 24th, 2014 at 10pm MST.
3. 1 winner will be chosen from comments by Random. Org and notified via email.
4. Address must be provided within 24 hours or a new winner will be selected, the gift card will be shipped directly by the supplier of the giveaway.
5. Open to US residents only.